Skip to main content

Road Trip


Yesterday we had a break in our first official winter storm so we took the opportunity to drive across the Cascade mountains to visit our Collegeboy on his birthday weekend.

A short aside: Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have pretty mild weather as a rule. Therefore, and especially during "sweeps" month, our local media like to take advantage of every chance there is to forecast and walk us through a storm. So we've already had our first taste of "Stormwatch" and "Stormtracker" on the various local stations, along with the unlucky reporter who is forced to stand out in the rain and make a big deal about a clogged drain that is threatening to flood a street. Not to make light of the fact that we do have a lot more flooding from rainstorms than we did when I was young (mostly because of over development of low-lying areas near rivers) but watching these people sensationalize an ordinary weather event is funny. It gets really good if snow is forecast. It rarely snows here and it seems to be difficult to forecast in this area. If it looks likely, there are reporters out all over the place, standing on hills and hoping for that elusive first flake. In any case, our rainy season has definitely started, there was some snow in the pass last week, and we wanted to make a quick trip over and back without getting stuck.

The scenery along the way is pretty. On this side of the mountains, we have lots of water and big evergreen forests. On that side, there are farms, flatlands stretching to the horizon, and more deciduous trees. I couldn't take very many photos in the mountains, because photography from the car doesn't work too well, but I got a non-blurry shot on the way back.

There isn't any snow accumulation yet.

We had a good time. T-Dog and the Princess had wanted to come with us, but both had work/schoolwork to do so it was just me, DH, and Grandma. The drive over was smooth; DH and Grandma sat in front and talked to each other; I sat in the back and knit. I made some progress on my second scarf for the Red Scarf Project (remember the deadline was extended to Dec. 15, so you still have time to make one) and made a couple of squares for my sock yarn blankie. This is totally addictive. It's going well now that I've figured out how to join the squares. My geometrically-challenged brain gave me a little trouble at first, but I think I've got it now. I'll put up a photo in the next couple of days.

We arrived in the college town of Ellensburg, WA a little after 1:00 PM, delivered our gifts (including the new black hat I successfully finished and managed to get dry in time), and headed out to lunch. Our Collegeboy was up and moving, but #1 roommate was still recovering from the party-filled weekend, so it was just the four of us.



We had a very nice lunch at an old yellow church that's been turned into a cafe. Small and cute and surprisingly good food. We then did a little sightseeing through the town,



and showed Grandma one of the places our boy works (lifeguard and swim teacher).


We drove through part of the campus of his college, Central Washington University, which is very pretty. It's a good fit for him - he loves the school and community.



We dropped him off and headed back. This is the view down his street, which is a cul-de-sac of new, small, houses. He has a horse for a neighbor!



Having him two hours away is just about perfect. It's very possible to do an over-and-back drive in one day, yet those mountains form just enough of a barrier that it seems like he's really away. It's been a very good fit for us all.

Of course, now I have to start worrying about snow for his trip over on Thanksgiving. A mother's work is never done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#