Skip to main content

Sunday's Garden

Before we get to some autumn photos, I just have to ask, "What happened to my attention span?"

In the last couple of days, I've worked on my MS4, my Kauni cardigan, a gift scarf I'm making, and some plain socks I've been carrying around. Okay, that's not too bad. But, becoming aware that it's not too late to send in a Red Scarf, I not only packed up my finished scarf, but I started another one. I received beads in the mail that I'm planning to use for a Swallowtail shawl and by some stroke of sanity, I have resisted casting on for that yet. BUT, I've been fascinated by Shelly Kang's sock yarn blankie for the past year, and I idly checked Ravelry to see if there was a group for it. There was, and guess what? They have organized swaps all the time so you can get little balls of sock yarn scraps to use for your blankie. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough variation in yarns if I just used the leftovers from socks I've made. Well, that was all too much to resist, so I joined three swaps and have made two squares since yesterday. Part of today was spent rolling sock yarn leftovers into 5 gram balls and labeling them. Here are the two squares and a ball for the next one.

It takes about 2 grams to make a small square and the swap I joined for November is calling for 5 gram balls. In any case, they're very small. Someone had the idea that even if you haven't made socks yet, you can just wind off a tiny ball of yarn and use it for your blankie. What a concept!

This was my sock yarn stash last January (and I'm sure it's grown just a little), so I don't know why I'm so worried about swapping to get more little balls.


It appears that I can easily obtain all the balls I need right in my own house, but it's all about the variety, isn't it? It's fun to make the squares; doesn't take long and they're so cute! I know, instant gratification for when you're in the middle of a sweater project and the two sleeves somehow are coming out different widths. Hmmm, take a break and knit a blankie square.

We took a nice walk in our lovely autumn weather today and I took a few more colored leaf photos. I'm getting obsessed with these too, but I guess that's harmless. This I found interesting: I try to get a photo of the kids dressed up for Homecoming in front of the dogwood trees in the driveway. It's the same time of year, but the last year's photo shows that the trees were redder
than they are this year. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for that....














It's probably the photographer.










This little maple tree always turns the prettiest color. Today, DH and Buddy waited patiently while I took a photo. Later I noticed the political sign - I am hoping that indeed this will be a season of change on lots of fronts.



This is always one of my favorite trees in the neighborhood. It's hard to get a good photo of it, since there are a lot of power lines in front of it. It turns the most beautiful shade of red, and it's a really big tree.




I love the contrast between the yellow maples and the huge fir trees around here. I never get tired of looking at them.Finally, I just can't get enough of the color variations on each plant. It is indeed a beautiful time of the year.


Comments

A :-) said…
Impressive sock stash! The leaves were really spectacular here too this year - I think it's because of all the rain we got. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#