Skip to main content

Six Month Check Up

Pat and I had our six month checkup yesterday and our partners, Steve and Janis, had theirs on July 13th.  They come a much longer way than we do to get to the UW Medical Center, so we drove in and met them for lunch last  Thursday.  It's so gratifying to get to "see" my former kidney in a healthy, grateful recipient.  We had a nice lunch and caught up on all the details.



Our checkups went well, Pat has to have labs once a week for awhile to follow up on a white cell problem that hasn't been fully managed yet.  He apparently has a pretty strong immune system and while that is usually good, in this case, it can cause problems when the anti-rejection medication is too high in an effort to keep viruses, etc. at bay and pushes his white count so low that he's unable to  fight off any stray germ and that's dangerous.  The chemistry and balancing act is amazingly sophisticated and I wonder how people who received transplants years ago managed.

Anyway, he is doing well and the good news is that he got permission for us to travel out of the country this fall!  So planning will be full steam ahead now.  We already purchased airfare and plan to fly to Iceland in mid-September, stay there three days and then continue to Glasgow.  We don't have exact plans made yet but will probably stay in Scotland a week or so, definitely visiting Edinburgh and then take the train down into England.  We'll spend the rest of the month visiting areas of England that we haven't been to before, probably the lake district, Cornwall, possibly Bath and Oxford and end up in London to fly home in mid-October.  It should be a grand time.

My checkup was also fine but, critical person that I am, I managed to convince myself that I'm not where I should be.  My creatinine was 1.04, which is actually higher than it was two weeks after surgery.  Now this can be due to the exercise that I'm doing, as creatinine is a byproduct of muscle metabolism and intense exercise can increase muscle breakdown.  However, I don't know if my slow swimming is intense exercise and I was disappointed in the result.  The nurse practitioner who went over the labs, however, was not concerned and informed me that my kidney function was about 77% of previous, when I had two kidneys.  I guess that is good news but I was hoping for quicker recovery back to a higher number.

While I'm certainly not a high level athlete, I do expect my body to do what I want it to and to respond quickly and successfully.  I know this kidney stuff is somewhat out of my control except for the requirement that I follow the dietary, fluid intake, and medication restrictions that I've been given.  I feel fine, can pretty much do whatever I want to, and enabled another human being to live a healthy life.  Not bad for a 64 year old "old lady!"

I finished some more spinning: 203 yards of Organic Wool from Southern Cross Fibre.  It came out really nicely.



I also finished the Russell Street Shawl, although the ends aren't all woven in yet.  I wanted to lay it out and see how I liked it, as I really miscalculated the yardage I would need for my main color and ran out way before the end.  I decided to take some more scraps and make a few larger stripes and I really like how it looks.  Hooray for improvisation!



I also made some raspberry freezer jam.  Yum!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#