Skip to main content

Playing Catch Up, As Usual

The trouble with waiting so long between posts is that there's too much to say so consequently I don't say anything.  As I go through my week, I take photos and write posts in my head.  Unfortunately, the ones I really like go to a quick Instagram post and never make it here.  Every so often someone (my sister today) will check my blog and let me know that it's way behind.  So here I go trying to catch up again.

The last post showed my newly spun blue and white yarn.  That yarn quickly turned into this pair of socks.  Knitting socks with handspun usually goes quickly since it tends to be a little thicker than commercial fingering weight yarn.  I'm happy with them.  I just did a regular vanilla sock with a Fish Lips Kiss heel.  I made these toe up to make sure I had enough yarn and reinforced my dislike of toe up sock knitting.



While we're talking about spinning, I spun a batt that I bought at Stitches West last year.  I separated out all of the colors and spun it as a gradient two ply.  It came out pretty fine; I got over 500 yards from 3 ounces of fiber.  And it's sparkly!


I've started making a shawl; A Certain Slant by Susan Ashcroft.  It's easy and the size can be made to fit any weight or amount of yarn.



I've taken a little break from baby knitting.  I went home in mid February for the shower and delivered all my gifts.  Since they're no longer secret, I'll give them their 5 minutes of fame.

Chevron blanket:  For an easy pattern I sure managed to mess it up a lot.  It came out very bright and soft, though, and is a good size for carseat or stroller.



Gramps sweater:  This is the cutest thing.  I only had one skein of the green yarn and a partial of the off-white, so I left off the pockets and elbow patches.  I like how it came out, though.  I used The Plucky Knitter Trusty and I really love this yarn.  It's a workhorse yarn, worsted weight and all wool but is soft enough and is great to work with.  I made a beautiful chevron gradient blanket with it last year and am working on a plain striped one out of desert colors now.





Baby vertebrae sweater:  Even though DH didn't get it, this sweater looked very handy because it doesn't really have a front.  I keeps the baby warm through his back and arms and leaves the front to snuggle with mom or dad.  It also avoids spills down the merino sweater front!  I used a sport weight sock yarn for this, one I had received in a club from Zen String years ago.



Another basic hat since I was warned that this kid might be extra big!



I guess that's it.  I might be working on some requested leg warmers....

Winter in the desert has been a trip this year.  It was extra cold for awhile (not "cold" per se if you know what cold is, but "cool") and then got up into the 90s for awhile.  It's cooled down again and we had a "storm" blow through...windy yesterday and a few sprinkles today. These clouds looked so cool yesterday morning!


This is what we usually see when we look outside:



 I'm feeling pretty lucky to be here since the Pacific Northwest has been a sogfest this winter.  When I was home last month it rained every day but one of the ten days. Raining or not, it's beautiful.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#