Skip to main content

Further Adventures in the Wild

As I documented last time, we've been going on hikes about every week this winter.  This week we added a day trip to Joshua Tree National Park to our weekly outdoor activities and it was a lot of fun.

I had read in the paper last Sunday that the Joshua Trees were in bloom and were very abundant this year.  Not having been to the park in about 20 years, and never having seen a tree in bloom, we asked some friends to go and drove up there last Monday morning.  We drove east to the far entrance to the park, entered there, and then drove diagonally across the whole thing, stopping when we saw something interesting.

This garden of Cholla cacti was impressive.


They were in various stages of bloom and were really pretty.  The color of the flower is not as eye catching as the Beaver tail pink blossom but I loved the pale green, delicate blossoms.





We passed some amazing rock formations and stopped to take photos of this one that looks like a skull.



 It was getting pretty windy but it was still nice, so we stopped for a picnic lunch and happened on some blooming Joshua Trees.  The blossom is the white thing on the end of the branch just off my left shoulder.  Sometimes you really have to look for them to find them.



We took a short hike near Barker Dam, a structure constructed by early cattlemen in 1900.  Now it collects whatever water is available to be enjoyed by the desert wildlife.


Walking through there, we came upon more trees and were able to study the blooms, which look almost like pineapples  from a distance.  The individual blossoms look like they don't really open in a showy manner, but grow a seed pod inside each one, which then falls.  In any case, it was interesting to see them up close.



This morning we decided to hike to the cross which sits atop a mountain trail here in Palm Desert.



 There were a lot of people and dogs out this morning, but we made it and then went down a back way, avoiding the crowds but coming out in a swanky neighborhood that's being developed.  They didn't seem to mind us walking down their road to get back to the trail along the canal that led us back to the car.  We found an oasis of green along the way and some flowers.





Very up and down today; my phone told me I'd gone 11,150 steps, 4.5 miles and climbed 63 floors.  I don't know how exact those numbers are, but it was definitely a climb!

And just for some more pretty, here's a photo I took on my walk through the park last Thursday.  I sent it in to the local TV station and they aired it on their evening news as one of the viewers' weather photos.  Cool!






Happy Sunday and Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#