Monday, October 13, 2014

Okay, okay

The hordes have been clamoring for a blog update (well, two have anyway) so here I go.  What's been going on since I last provided any real information?  A lot, which is probably why I fell down on the job of reporting.

My last informational post was last March (!) and a couple of weeks after that, DH suffered a stroke.  Fortunately it was mild as strokes go, but boy do you learn to appreciate the ease of thinking, walking, speaking, and writing when those things become difficult.  He started therapy right away and after a couple of sessions, was released to follow up on his own.  The warm pool at our condo complex in the desert was great for him to work in and he did that regularly until we left to come up north.  His first goal was to play golf and dance at his son's wedding on May 17th.  I'm happy to report that he did both.

He's doing pretty well now, in fact he put together numerous Ikea chairs and bookcases as we furnished our new house in Washington.  Great Occupational Therapy!  He also built a large raft and firepit, which came out beautifully.  He still gets tired quite easily and frustrated and there's a lot of room for improvement, but he was able to drive a fully loaded car from Seattle to Palm Desert by himself and that's a great accomplishment.

We came north in May to prepare the house for the arrival of the two kids who were not getting married, enjoyed their visit and the wedding, and then went back to pack up the car and drive home for the summer.  Since DH was limited in his endurance, we planned a nice trip through Las Vegas to see kids, Zion National Park, Salt Lake City, Boise, Walla Walla and then home.  We took a week and had a great time seeing places we hadn't visited together.  We also listened to an audio version of The Boys in the Boat, which you should listen to or read if you're one of the three people in the US who hasn't yet.

We went on two hikes at Zion.  This one had you walking in rushing water on slippery rocks to continue on the trail.  We went for awhile but it got sort of deep and I didn't think it was a good idea to go too far.  Beautiful sights, though!

We made it home safely after spending a nice night by the River Walk in Boise, and doing some wine tasting in Walla Walla.  All in all, a very enjoyable way to get here.

When we left off last time, I had said that I put longer sleeves onto my Brynna cardigan.  Indeed I did, and I wore it to an evening movie, where it was just the right weight and coverage.

As far as other knitting goes, the big things I have finished:  Neon,

  Posh Petals,

and Transmute.

There are always socks and other random small items I'm working on.  For example, I'm making some golf club covers for DH.  He bought new clubs so he can start playing more often, so what else to ask for than knitted covers, right?  Here's the brightest one so far:


I've become obsessed by yarn from The Plucky Knitter and have added quite a few skeins to my collection, but at least I'm using some of it, right?  All the projects pictured here use that yarn.  Hey, must be time to get more!

So this doesn't get too tedious, I'll stop now and continue on real soon, I promise!  Have a great day!

No comments: