Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Catching up again

How many times have I used that title?  I guess if I posted more regularly, I wouldn't have to catch up, but that doesn't seem all that likely.  Anyway, since this blog is supposed to exist to document my knitting, here's what's been happening.

The spinalong fiber has been spun and mostly knitted.  I'm making the Boneyard shawl by Stephen West out of it and it is not the most interesting knitting, so is taking awhile.  I got about 650 yards of yarn, so the shawl will be a good size.  The colors shown on the yarn skeins are more true to life than those in the shawl photo.  While this is not a combination of colors I would ordinarily choose for myself, I'm enjoying the progression of shades in the finished project.





My Pogona (also a Stephen West design) is about the same size as it was when I last showed it.  However, it has had some work done on it, just not all in the right direction.  I decided I didn't like the striping I was getting while alternating skeins, so I ripped it back and continued with just one.  Next I didn't like the way the yarnovers before the purl stitches were coming out much bigger than the ones on the other side, so I ripped it back and started again using a different technique.  I didn't have a lot of success with my first attempts at the new technique, so I ripped it back again.  Now I'm moving along and am happier with the way it looks, but I think it's actually smaller than it was in the last photo.

Continuing with the theme, I have a third Stephen West shawl on the needles.  This one is the Daybreak, which I've been intending to do for some time.  I'm using two colorways of Wollmeise sock and I really love the way it's looking.  There's a long way to go on this.



I decided to knit the Mystery Sock pattern in the Sock Knitter's Anonymous group on Ravelry.  This pattern is by Janel Laidman, is called Artichoke and has some knitted right into the cuff.  I'm enjoying this pattern; it used some beads at the beginning, which was different for me for a sock.  I'm using Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere which is a very yummy choice of yarn.



I wrote about the hat I made with dpns, but I haven't shown the matching booties.  They're cute but I'm not sure how practical they'll be.  I'm glad it's not my problem - the recipients can worry about keeping them on the baby's feet.  The pattern is called Saartje's Booties and I've seen many of them in photos over the years.



I've actually made a couple of other things but photos aren't on this computer.  I will immortalize them at a later date!

Wherever you are, I hope you are safe.  The weather events here in the US have been miserable and scary lately and I thank my lucky stars that all I have to complain about is a little rain.








No comments: