Skip to main content

Adventurous Knitter

These are double-pointed needles.  They are size US 2-1/2 (3 mm).


They are pretty small, pretty sharp, and pretty slippery.  I only have a couple of small sets of dpns, purchased a long time ago.  Back in the day when I learned to make socks, I first learned from a book and that book said you had to use dpns, so I bought some and used them.  I didn't like them very much.

Shortly thereafter I took a class on how to make socks with two circular needles and I liked that much better.  The needles didn't poke me, they didn't fall out, they weren't as awkward to hold, and I didn't get the little ladders between the needles.   Once I started with the circulars, I didn't look back and learned to easily convert any pattern written for dpns to circulars.  This included finishing hats and doing mittens.  I may have even said on occasion that I didn't use dpns and didn't know why anyone else would.  That's me; never judgmental or anything!

However, when I was finishing my Geodesic cardigan and doing the sleeves in the round, I didn't like how the two circulars I was using were pulling the laceweight yarn and I had some issues with the "seam" area between the needles. So when I went to finish the child's pullover sweater that I recently made, I decided to try dpns for the sleeves.  It was pretty easy because the needles were size 8 (5 mm) and were made from wood.  Short, not too slippery, and quite substantial.  It worked well.

I needed to make a quick baby hat to match the booties I made recently as a gift.  I was using a cotton/acrylic blend yarn because the baby will live in the desert, so the yarn is pretty smooth.  I had attempted a couple of hat patterns but wasn't getting the result I wanted, so I found another pattern and decided to use much smaller needles than I had been trying.  I also decided (gasp!) to try it with dpns, since I thought this yarn would pull too much if I tried to use my usual technique.  I looked in my needle boxes and came up with the aforementioned needles.  I cast on and made my way up the hat with good success.  The gauge was close and the size looked good.



The hat came out pretty cute.

So now what?  Do I add dpns in every size to my collection?  They were quite handy for this project, but it was small and quick.  I don't think I'll ever go back to them for socks, since I had a few issues with pulling them out of the stitches, dropping the loose needle onto the floor, and having a needle just fall out on its own once the decreases were close to being finished.  When you use two circulars, you pull the needle through on the long cable and let go after you finish each section.  When you do that with the dpns, the needle comes out of the stitches and goes flying.  Definitely not good for airplane knitting for me.

So, what did I learn?  I can use dpns if I have to.  They are useful in some instances.  I need to practice in order to keep them in my hand and off the floor.  Slippery needles and slippery yarns aren't a good match.

It's always good to learn something new.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes it's good to revisit something that didn't seem to work in the past. I like to work with dpns, but not in the car or on air flights. KIP with dpns always evokes comments from non-knitters :) Seeing my grandson crawl swiftly across the floor with knitted mouse held in one hand, it reminded me how much joy can be created with simple tools - "sticks and string". GumLeafDesigns
Z said…
The hat is adorable.

I just pulled out to sets of dpn, that I have. One is a size 3 and the other is maybe a size 7. I am trying to learn to make socks. I've been wanting to learn for the longest time, now I finally found the time.

My mom bought me a long time ago, this book on how to knit two socks at the same time on circular needles. I might revisit that dvd, once I get the basics of knitting socks on dpn.

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#