Skip to main content

Snow! Well, Sort Of.....

I imagine all of you living in parts of the country where you can really tell that it's been winter were amused to see Seattle on the weather channel yesterday.  Yes, we've had all our local news reporters out in their yellow jackets marvelling at the tiny bit of snow that has everyone in an uproar.  To be fair, there was some significant accumulations in the surrounding areas and in the mountains, but here?  Nah.  News stories of kids sledding into muddy grass while enjoying a "snow" day are very entertaining.  Doesn't take much to get us going here.  Here's a photo of the sun glinting off the tiny layer of snow in the yard.  It looked very pretty in real life!




In other weather news, though, I'll be heading back down south early Saturday morning, where it's been cooler and rainy (60s) but hopefully will be heading back up into the 70s shortly after my arrival.  I've been wearing my Cassidy sweater as much as possible, since I know the worsted weight wool will not be necessary for me next week.  Yes, I got the sweater done in time to wear it to Madrona Fiber Arts Festival and it worked out well.  It was comfortable to wear (not as itchy as it seemed at first) and wasn't too hot for most of the indoor time.  It's very nice to wear as an outer garment in the cool weather.  I received lots of compliments and am very happy with it.



It doesn't have a hood because I ran out of yarn and my friend Jann gave me a great suggestion as to how to use the partial hood to make a collar, thus avoiding the dreaded ripping.  I was a little hesitant as to my ability to make this type of alteration, but it came out great.



I've packed up yarn to take to the desert so I can work on some lighter weight sweaters.  The way I packed, I'll have about 4 sweaters done, yarn spun for some shawls, and a blanket started in the next three weeks.  Who's betting on that?  Knitters are nothing if not confident.

I'm working my way through some mittens with limited success.  They're called Elise and are a February selection in the Ravelry group, Year of Stash Socks.  Here's my progress after trying to fix the problem of size (too large) and finally ripping back to the cuff, adjusting how I hold the colors, and starting again.  I'm hoping this version will succeed, since I really like this pattern and am enjoying working with the yarn.  (0f course, it's Wollmeise, so who wouldn't).  My friend Lori offered me a skein of Natur from her sizeable stash, which I gratefully accepted.  I was going to use some Knit Picks Bare for the light color, but it wouldn't have matched as well.  The green is leftover yarn from my Norwegian Rose socks, so this is stash-busting (some of mine and some of hers!)



I'll catch you later from the sunny south.

Comments

Cathy-Cate said…
Loverly, both your projects! I really like the sweater.

Heh, you can always check my blog for 'real' snow pics. Enjoy the sun, and travel safely!

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Twelve - Last Stop, London!

We arrived in London by train from Oxford on Thursday morning, Oct. 12.  After deciding that we didn't want to figure out the Tube while dealing with our luggage, we took a taxi to our hotel.  We did buy our travel cards at the station so we were all set for tackling the underground later that night.  This was our smallest room yet but worked for what we used it for. Our hotel was in the Kensington neighborhood and chosen to be convenient to the things we wanted to do in London.  We unpacked and headed out for a walk in Kensington Gardens.  It's beautiful and huge.  We noticed the Albert Memorial and walked by Kensington Palace and the statue of Queen Victoria.  If we hadn't had our fill of palaces already, we would be in the right place to see more. We kept walking and ended up at the Victoria and Albert Museum, which neither of us had seen before.  It's an immense art museum with endless collections.  A couple of things I liked were the room of tapestries