Skip to main content

The Great Adventure Part Five


Continuing with the Edinburgh portion of the trip, we booked an all day bus trip to the ancient golf course of St. Andrews and through the fishing villages of Fife. It was a rainy day so we thought a bus tour would be good. 

We started out by traversing Edinburgh to pick up all the other passengers. I was glad that we weren't driving! Rain, narrow streets, construction... and driving on the left. 


We headed out of town and stopped to photograph the new Queensferry bridge. It was opened in August (by the Queen!) and is the longest suspension bridge in the world and Britain's tallest. Unfortunately, the weather was still misty and we couldn't get a clear view across it. 



The excitement here, at least for me, was locking myself into a toilet stall during our brief stop here. My motto, "never pass up a restroom," could have spelled disaster. Luckily I had my backpack with me with a nail clipper inside and I was able to MacGyver the lock open with the file part. 

The next stop was Dunfermline, where we visited the Abbey, founded in 1072. There are a lot of old churches in The UK, many having been the scenes of conflict and destruction.





Another interesting thing about this town is that it was the birthplace of Andrew Carnegie, and the original Carnegie library is here. We looked in there and the museum briefly and they were great. One of the rare book collections in the library:



Then we drove farther up the coast and stopped in a little fishing village called Anstruther. It was a picturesque little place. 



The highlight of the journey came next. Pat had been talking about going to St. Andrews since we mentioned Scotland as a destination. It's the home of Scotland's first university, founded in 1413, there are castle ruins nearby, and there is the Old Course, widely known as the home of golf. It's a beautiful course, right on the sea. The beach here is the one used in "Chariots of Fire" and is impressive even on a cold day. 





Most golfers will be able to identify the landmark Swilcan Bridge at the 18th hole. While we were waiting for golfers to pass by so we could stand on it, we had to wait longer while the caddy took photos of all of them on the bridge, too. 


 
The University buildings were very picturesque, and the ruined castle was a ruined castle. 😉


The next day we visited Edinburgh Castle, which sits high on a hill overlooking the city. It's an impressive  structure indeed, too full of Scottish military history for us to absorb. There has been a royal castle on the site from at least the 12th century and the site was a royal residence until 1633. By the 17th century it was principally used as a military barracks with a large garrison. It was besieged many times in its long history. 


One of the cannons is fired every day at 1:00. We didn't stay for that. 






The last day we spent at the Royal Botanic Garden before catching our train to England. It is a massive garden and so impressive, even slightly past peak season. We were disappointed that the glass houses were closed for renovation, but there still was plenty to see. 






I especially liked the Queen Mother's Memorial Garden. The labyrinth is designed to form a series of interlocking 'E for Elizabeth' shapes. 



The hedges are massive!

This concludes the Scotland portion of our tour. We hope you've enjoyed it. We will continue to England on our next episode. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting, but I have finished a few things. Let's see, I got it into my head that I had to finish my Cozy wrap before our trip to Ireland, so I could take it on the plane as a blankie. Well, I knitted and knitted, so much so that my elbow began to hurt (ack!) but didn't finish. I decided to take it with me as airplane knitting, even though the larger, sharper Harmony needles I was using could perhaps be a problem, but they sailed through security screening each time. (I love these needles by the way, in all sizes. I haven't had any problems with them at all.) So Cozy came with me, sat on my lap, and I finally finished it halfway through the trip. Then I decided that it wasn't long enough, so I packed it into my suitcase and planned to block it out larger after returning home. Well, I blocked it and now it's really long, but I still like it and use it to throw over my shoulders as I sit and knit at home. Here&#