Skip to main content

Time Flies

Here we are, halfway through April and I've been neglecting my blog.  I got back to Seattle at the end of March and was busy with family for about a week.  The kids and DH came home for Passover and we had a lovely gathering.  Everyone left on Easter Sunday and it seems as if I've been trying to catch up ever since.

On the crafting front, I spun a fun project on my new spinning wheel.  I guess I never reported on the Madrona Fiber Arts festival here, but I went to it in the middle of February and had a great time as usual.  I bought a little fiber and some yarn as a gift, but my big purchase was this:


I had been pretty sure that I wanted one of these little gems and when I went and saw them in person, I was sure.  It's a HansenCrafts miniSpinner and they're made right here in Washington.  I met Kevin Hansen, the developer and craftsman, and he told me just why I needed one of these babies.  I agreed with him and here we are.  It's an electric spinner and you can plug it into the wall and also get a rechargeable battery for it, which I did.  It's so small that you can put it right up onto the sofa next to you or on a coffee table or anyplace handy.  You're not restricted to a chair in front of your spinning wheel, and you can use the on/off control with your hand so you can sit however you like.  It comes with a WooLee Winder, which I'd never used before, and which I totally love.  Not having to change the hooks every few minutes is great and the yarn looks so much neater when it's on the bobbin.  I might have already purchased one of these for my Lendrum.

The yarn I just spun on the miniSpinner came from this cool batt of fiber:



It comes from an etsy shop called Loop and is called a Bullseye Bump.  The artist dyes a long, thin strand of fiber in a gradient and then rolls it up into a center pull ball.  You just grab the end and spin it up.  The only drawback is that you either have to use a single or navajo ply if you want to preserve the color sections.  You can ply it on itself or with another fiber if you want to have barberpole yarn or ply it with a solid color.  I navajo plyed it and it was my first attempt at this with other than "practice" yarn.  It came out pretty well; it's a little overtwisted in the aqua section, which is the first section I did, but it calmed down a lot by the end.  I got 382 yards out of 5.5 ounces.  It was a fun experience and by the end of all that I felt I knew what I was doing!



I've been trying to finish the blue sweater that I talked about last time.  I'm making progress and am through the body and currently working on the sleeves.  I might make them 3/4 length instead of long, so I've been concentrating on how to work the increases so they'll end up the right size.  I'm determined to get it done, so am putting off other knitting, which is painful.  Hopefully it will be done in another week and I can get to something else.

Enjoy the spring!  I'm looking out at the rhododendrons and they're beautiful.  It just started to rain, so I guess I'll have to knit instead of walk the dog.  Too bad....

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Been Up To: Part Three. Missouri

Tuesday morning The Princess and I flew to St. Louis, rented a car, and drove a couple of hours to St. Robert, MO.  My SIL joined the National Guard and graduated from Boot Camp on May 9th, so we wanted to be on hand to congratulate him.  May 8th was Family Day, so we got to pick him up at Fort Leonard Wood and take him with us for the day.  He looks very handsome and impressive in his dress uniform! The Princess and her cadre of Army Wives.  Facebook is handy for making connections! We enjoyed meeting some of his buddies and their families and spending some quiet time, then had to have him back on post at 9:00 PM.  The next morning, we went back for an impressive graduation ceremony.  When that was over, we drove to a restaurant several miles out of town.  The drive was beautiful and the restaurant was actually in a cave.  The "shuttle" from the parking lot to the restaurant and "resort" was an old, rickety van driven by someone who might

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Eleven

Okay, we are heading into our last week and I should finish the narrative in no time!  We left off as we were riding the train to Oxford, which was where we picked up our next car.  Our B&B was in Stow-on-the-Wold, which should have been a fairly quick and easy drive.  Unfortunately, our GPS again conspired against us and by the time we figured out we were indeed going in the wrong direction, we had made our drive into a considerably longer one than it needed to be.  I hesitate to say that we wasted time, since seeing any place in England was interesting, but we did have to do some backtracking to get where we needed to be. We spent two nights in a very quaint building that was built in 1640.  The narrow circular staircase and slant to the floors bore out this fact. Imagine carrying two suitcases up these stairs! We had heard good things about the Cotswolds and were looking forward to seeing some part of the area.  Our first impression was that they are indeed popular with

The Great Adventure 2017 Part Twelve - Last Stop, London!

We arrived in London by train from Oxford on Thursday morning, Oct. 12.  After deciding that we didn't want to figure out the Tube while dealing with our luggage, we took a taxi to our hotel.  We did buy our travel cards at the station so we were all set for tackling the underground later that night.  This was our smallest room yet but worked for what we used it for. Our hotel was in the Kensington neighborhood and chosen to be convenient to the things we wanted to do in London.  We unpacked and headed out for a walk in Kensington Gardens.  It's beautiful and huge.  We noticed the Albert Memorial and walked by Kensington Palace and the statue of Queen Victoria.  If we hadn't had our fill of palaces already, we would be in the right place to see more. We kept walking and ended up at the Victoria and Albert Museum, which neither of us had seen before.  It's an immense art museum with endless collections.  A couple of things I liked were the room of tapestries